It is the policy of Barbican Theatre, Plymouth to safeguard the welfare of all young people with which it works by protecting them from neglect and physical, sexual and emotional harm.
We are committed to:
• Taking the interests and wellbeing of young people into account, in all our considerations and activities.
• Respecting the rights, wishes and feelings of the young people with whom we work.
• Taking all reasonable practicable steps to protect them from neglect, physical, sexual and emotional abuse.
• Promoting the welfare of young people and their protection within a position of trust.
All directors or employees of Barbican Theatre or contractors and volunteers who work with Barbican Theatre, Plymouth are responsible for putting this policy into practice at all times.
Each employee, contractor or volunteer has a responsibility to ensure that young people are protected from harm.
It is the responsibility of all to ensure that:
• Their behaviour is appropriate at all times.
• They observe the rules established for the safety and security of young people.
• They follow the procedures following suspicion, disclosure or allegation of child abuse.
• They recognise the position of trust in which they have been placed.
• In every respect, the relationships they form with the young people under their care are appropriate.
It is the policy of Barbican Theatre, Plymouth that all employees, contractors and volunteers who will work with young people undergo an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Baring Service. Barbican Theatre, Plymouth will cover the costs of obtaining the Disclosure through its representatives.
No relationships of a sexual or intimate nature are acceptable with any member of Barbican Theatre, Plymouth even though such members may be over the age of consent.
Individuals who are working with Barbican Theatre, Plymouth on a short-term basis such as panellists, artists running one-off master classes, technicians etc but who have not been DBS checked must be overseen by a DBS checked member of staff or more senior contractor. ‘Overseen’ means checked upon regularly but does not mean watched continually. This oversight role must be taken very seriously by the member of staff who takes responsibility for the contractor or volunteer.
The Barbican Theatre, Plymouth policy is set out in all contracts of employment and sub contractor contracts.
All allegations or suspicions of abuse, no matter how insignificant they might seem, or when/where they occur, must be referred to Laura Kriefman (Child protection officer) immediately email firstname.lastname@example.org or our Rebels Manager Dulcie Fenton email@example.com
No information must be withheld or filtered.
Young people’s welfare is always paramount.
You can download a copy of our Safeguarding_Policy_Barbican_Theatre_2023
Be first in the know! - If you want to find out new shows on sale, special offers or just know what Barbican Theatre are up to please subscribe to our email updates.